This year we have Ms. Julia McDougall, our Indigenous Student Services Cultural teacher, and Ms. Pollyanna McBain, our First Nations, Métis and Inuit Liasson, in our school one day a week each.
Their role includes, but is not limited to:
- Ensuring that indigenous students have a contact person to provide support
- Meet with indigenous students on a regular basis in the school in order to determine and support individual needs
- Strengthen communication lines between home and school.
- Provide assistance to teachers who wish to initiate programs involving the study of indigenous cultures.
- Promote indigenous awareness by meeting all people (Elders, community members, etc.), doing class presentations, and indigenous crafts.
- Create networks between schools, community and the indigenous communities.
We are proud to honour and recognize Lucas Thompson, a 2020 Honouring Spirit Award Recipient from the Alberta School Boards Association. Lucas is one of twelve provincial recipients.
In November 2020, Suncor Canada and the McMurray Métis gifted our school with a teepee. We are so appreciative and grateful of this kind gift and the learning that will result from it. Stay tuned for a video that our classes are creating that will teach us about the significance of each teepee pole, as well has help us learn about the 7 Sacred Teachings. Our grade 6 classes are working on painting the canvas for the teepee, which will be put on the poles in spring 2021.