Leader in Me at Ecole Dickinsfield School!
Our school is a Leader In Me School!
The Leader in Me process was designed to help teachers develop leadership skills in their students. Helping students discover their own unique strengths allows teachers to find opportunities for every child to shine—to be a leader. Incorporating the common language of the 7 Habits (The 7 Habits of Happy Kids) into all curriculum areas deepens student understanding and acknowledges what the school and teacher believe to be important.
“Leadership” is the umbrella term to encompass the many character traits and basic life competencies that parents, business leaders, and educators are voicing as the desired skills necessary to thrive in the 21st century:
- Creativity and Innovation
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving
- Communication and Collaboration
- Flexibility and Adaptability
- Initiative and Self-Direction
- Social and Cross-Cultural Skills
- Productivity and Accountability
Leadership is a concept we don’t normally consider when thinking of children. However, children are very capable of learning leadership skills and using them at home and at school. By developing well rounded children who know their strengths, we help them unleash their potential to lead their own lives and to influence others.
It also helps to create a common language within a school, built on proven principle-based leadership skills found in Dr. Stephen R. Covey’s best-selling book, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive® • You’re in Charge
- Habit 2: Begin With the End in Mind® • Have a Plan
- Habit 3: Put First Things First® • Work First, Then Play
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win® • Everyone Can Win
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood® • Listen Before You Talk
- Habit 6: Synergize® • Together Is Better
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw® • Balance Feels Best
There is also Habit 8: Find Your Voice & Inspire Others
We use these habits daily to be effective learners and team members. Join in!