We love our School Garden!
We are delighted to be the first school in Fort McMurray with a garden.
Our garden includes a shed and outdoor fenced area, with 7 experimental outdoor composters,
to help us compost plant stems, and more of our organic lunch waste.
Through this process students are learning about
- where food comes from and what’s involved in growing it.
- how plants grow.
- how to care for the environment. Growing your own food reduces pollution – less transporting and packaging.
- being a good global citizen. If more people grow food, there is enough food for all.
- how gardening is healthy for you! Healthy food, healthy air, healthy exercise.
- the needs of plants and animals and our connection to the food chain.
- solar energy
Seeds are planted by interested classes. The garden is maintained and harvested by student Gardening Leaders.
In the summer it is tended by volunteer families. It is a beautiful part of our school!
Thanks so much to Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo and BP Oil A+ For Energy for assistance.
Check out our School Garden website.